Dear Families and Friends,
Welcome back, and Happy New Year to everyone.
To our new families who joined us or will soon be joining us, we extend a warm welcome. We look forward to providing your children with an enjoyable, productive, and positive school experience during your time in Shanghai. Over the coming months you will find a variety of school-based activities and opportunities available to your entire family. From extra-curriculars, clubs, sports, performances, parent engagements, and evening events, we encourage both students and parents to get involved to the greatest degree possible. Your participation is key in promoting and sustaining the high degree of community and support that we enjoy here at SCIS-Pudong.
A quick reminder that this month’s Chinese New Year break is early in the academic calendar, so we only have a few weeks before we are on holiday again. The school holiday runs from January 27-February 5.
Please remember to stay tuned to our SCIS-Pudong Webpage for regular updates and event information. In addition, please see below for some important notes and reminders:
- First Day of Semester 2: Tomorrow is the first day of semester 2, in the Lower School it is Day 1 and in the Upper School it is a B day.
- Grade 6,7,8 Semester Course Schedule Change: Grade 6, 7, & 8 students who were in Design during Semester 1 will transition to Visual Arts for Semester 2 and Students who were in Visual Arts during Semester 1 will transition to Design for Semester 2. This change is effective starting tomorrow, students can see their teacher assignment for their new course on the white board in the lobby.
- Chinese New Year Performance: Save the Date! We are now approaching the most significant time of the year in Chinese culture. SCIS-Pudong’s cumulating performance with students from Pre-K through 12th grade will occur on Thursday, January 26, beginning at 1:00pm in the theater. Preparation for the celebration is well underway by both students and teachers. Stay tuned for more information soon.
- After School Activities: 3rd Quarter ASAs for the Lower School will begin after the CNY holiday break. Further information on this quarter’s activities and the registration dates will be sent out shortly. Upper School students can check with their activity sponsors for upcoming dates.
- Winter Weather: Please ensure your children are coming to school with the appropriate cold weather clothing, including coat, hat, and gloves. Furthermore, the winter months generally bring higher pollution levels to the city, which we have seen in recent weeks. We encourage all parents to provide protective masks for children to wear to and from school on bad air days. We continue to sell VogMasks from our school store, at a discount rate of 100 RMB each.
- PAFA Meeting & Parent Talk: Our Parents and Friends Association will be holding their monthly general meeting at 10am on January 17th in the Library Conference Room. On January 18th, PAFA will then host a special parent talk on the topic: Security, Safety and Services in Shanghai from 10:55am-11:35am in the Theater.
- Campus Upgrades: Over the break we undertook a variety of campus upgrades and additions to help ensure that we’re providing our students with world class facilities in line with the International Baccalaureate Programmes. In addition to some significant cosmetic upgrades, our Lower School playground has a new sandbox, our ECE playground has an updated roof, and our Science Labs have received some electrical upgrades to expand experimental capabilities,
- Semester 1 Media: Take a look back at all the fantastic activities and events from Semester 1 by visiting our campus Media Site. Before we left for winter break, we added thousands of photos and video from December’s busy event schedule.
We wish you all a prosperous and healthy 2017 and Year of the Rooster. We look forward to seeing you all around campus in the weeks ahead.
SCIS Administration Team